In a matter of weeks, California has been hit with two record-breaking heat waves, hundreds of blazes, freak lightning storms and dangerously poor air quality, and now unusually strong winds are threatening to knock down power lines and ignite more wildfires.
That’s prompting the state’s largest utility to impose power cuts for more than 500,000 people, and with dangerous conditions stretching across the West, Portland General Electric Co. has also switched off power to some Oregon customers.
The shutoffs that PG&E Corp. began late Monday are the latest blow for the disaster-weary California, where climate change is making weather ever more extreme. Temperatures have soared to records from Napa to Los Angeles. Wildfires have torched more than 2 million acres, the most in records stretching back three decades. Hundreds of thousands of people may go dark for days while trapped indoors due to wildfire smoke and Covid-19 outbreaks.
The U.S. Forest Service said in a statement Monday that most of California “remains under the threat of unprecedented and dangerous fire conditions.” It has temporarily closed eight national forests, including Sierra National Forest.
“Existing fires are displaying extreme fire behavior, new fire starts are likely, weather conditions are worsening, and we simply do not have enough resources to fully fight and contain every fire,” Randy Moore, regional forester for the forest service’s Pacific Southwest Region, said in the statement.
California narrowly escaped rotating blackouts Saturday and Sunday, as temperatures soared past 100 degrees Fahrenheit (38 degrees Celsius) in much of the state, squeezing the power grid to its brink. The fires only made things worse, taking down power plants and transmission lines, cutting power to 70,000 homes and businesses.
While temperatures were lower Monday in some areas, officials said they were still concerned about getting through the afternoon, in part because of the fires. But in a tweet Monday night, the grid operator said it wouldn’t order power outages.The heat is poised to ebb only slightly Tuesday. Sacramento is forecast to hit 97. Oakland will be 91. And Los Angeles will be 87.
The latest blazes are already wreaking havoc on the grid. The Creek Fire in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, which has scorched more than 78,000 acres, knocked out transmission from a hydro plant on Saturday.
September and October typically mark the peak of California’s fire season, when plants have been sapped of moisture by the state’s dry summer. Rains most often return in October or November.
Last year, when California’s utilities first began carrying out widespread blackouts like this, some homes and businesses were left in the dark for days. That drew outrage from state and local officials, triggered investigations and prompted PG&E to reassess the scope of future shutoffs. The company has taken steps to limit the size and duration of outages, including putting wires underground in some locations.
An excerpt from https://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/california-s-climate-crisis-is-deepening-as-500-000-go-dark/story-S9nvAgN50SNIIw3vscqyCI.html
- 20.09.07 (Mon.)
- UK Minister for International Environment stresses need to work with Bangladesh to tackle climate change
- 中国、原油など戦略物資備蓄急ぐ 対米・コロナ禍にらむ
- How CO2 makes ‘green metals’ accessible to miners
- 20.09.08 (Tue.)
- Germany’s CO2 pricing part of ‘irreversible’ path– SPD chancellor candidate Scholz
- L&T evaluating tech for CO2-to-methanol plant
- 気候変動リスク開示、4倍の264社 20年3月期
- Meeting in Seoul, climate leaders call for global cooperation
- 20.09.09 (Wen.)
- Rising CO2 levels mean trees increasingly live fast and die young | New Scientist
- CO2 makes trees live fast and die young: study – France 24
- Audi partnering with Climeworks on CO2 direct air capture and storage – Green Car Congress
- US utilities say Biden plan to cut CO2 hinges on breakthroughs – CNA
- Fossil growth reveals insights into the climate
- California’s climate crisis is deepening as 500,000 go dark – world news – Hindustan Times
- Trump touts ‘environmental accomplishments’ after dismantling key protections – CNNPolitics
- 20.09.10 (Thu.)
- Linux Foundation、気候変動に関する新イニシアチブ「LF Climate Finance Foundation」の設立発表 | ESG投資の比較・ランキングならHEDGE GUIDE
- 24時間で約40度の気温変化に見舞われた米コロラド州 | ワールド | 最新記事 | ニューズウィーク日本版 オフィシャルサイトト
- 環境省、TCFDシナリオ分析／SBT目標設定支援の参加企業決定 | ニュース | 環境ビジネスオンライン
- Trump, Calling Himself ‘the No. 1 Environmental President,’ Green Washes His Record – The New York Times
- Novel Catalytic Process for Converting CO2 into Valuable Chemicals
- Leveraging tech to harness polluting CO2 for fuel – bloc
- Climate change: Former minister O’Neill blasts government “inaction” – BBC News
- United in Science report: Climate change has not stopped for COVID19 | UNEP – UN Environment Programme
- 20.09.11 (Fri.)
- High-fidelity record of Earth’s climate history puts current changes in context
- UK climate assembly: tax frequent flyers and ban SUVs as part of Covid recovery | Coronavirus outbreak | The Guardian
- Climate Stress Tests Will Eventually Influence Bank Capital
- European Parliament Committee votes to significantly increase climate targets – Green News Ireland
- 米ＣＦＴＣの諮問委、気候変動は金融システム上のリスクと指摘 – ロイターニュース – 経済：朝日新聞デジタル
- 英中銀幹部、保険会社に気候変動への備え強化を要請 | ロイター
- Iceland Using Geothermal to Remove CO2 – Renewable Energy Magazine, at the heart of clean energ
- 20.09.12 (Sat.)
- ここまで来た！ 建設デジタル革命 | 日経クロステック（xTECH）
- South-South Cooperation to tackle climate change
- ‘Incredibly inspiring’ Climate:Red Summit closes with a princess and a king (of bhangra) – Red Cross Red Crescent Climate Centre
- ハンガリー、円建て環境債 気候変動対策へ200億円 クリーン輸送などに充当
- 温暖化ガス濃度 史上最高/コロナでの減少一時的/国連の機関が共同で報告書
- 気候変動リスクと各省の施策」と題して経済産業省 荒井 次郎氏、環境省 秋山 奈々子氏並びに国土交通省 齋藤 正徳氏のセミナ
- Riviera – News Content Hub – PSA Marine: LNG fuel cuts tug CO2 emissions by 22%
- Automakers could face tougher 2030 EU CO2 target
- 20.09.13 (Sun)
- Dalai Lama calls for unified global action on climate change – France 24
- US carbon dioxide supply is a bottleneck for Covid-19 vaccines — Quartz
- Biodiesel giver store CO2-besparelser | Maskinbladet
- Pope teams up with Slow Food founder for environment appeal | Lifestyles | starherald.com
- 米の山火事 トランプ大統領 状況把握でカリフォルニア州へ | アメリカ大統領選 | NHKニュース